PRE-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR ABDOMINOPLASTY SURGERY
1. If you smoke, it would be very beneficial if you refrain from smoking at least 4 weeks prior to your surgery. This is to help your lungs and circulation be in their best condition for surgery and to aid in wound healing.
2. Please do not take any aspirin or ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Alieve) for 2 weeks preceding surgery. These substances can cause excessive bleeding. You may take any Tylenol products if necessary.
3. No diet pills or herbal supplements two weeks prior to surgery.
4. On the day of surgery, please do not wear wigs, hairpins, jewelry, false eyelashes, or contact lenses. Wear or bring loose-fitting clothing. It would be a good idea to bring a pillow to make your ride home more comfortable.
5. If you have long hair, please pull it away from your face with a band.
6. Please have a bed or recliner chair ready for your return home. If using a bed, you will need plenty of pillows for under your knees and back. This will allow you to stay in a flexed position while you are healing.
7. Please DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING after midnight the night before surgery.
8. Have prescriptions filled before your surgery.
9. If you develop any illness prior to your surgery, contact our office as soon as possible.
POST-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR ABDOMINOPLASTY SURGERY
1. You must have someone available to drive you home from the surgery center. If you live further than 30 miles away from the surgery center, we ask that you stay locally for the first night. There are post-operative care facilities close by if interested. Please ask our office for their telephone numbers.
2. Upon leaving the surgery center, you may have small quantities of liquids as desired and tolerated. The following day you may progress to a soft diet. After the above, you may eat as desired. No alcoholic beverages are allowed for two weeks after surgery and especially while taking the medications.
3. Keep pillow under legs and knees at all times to flex the thighs. Lying on either side with the hips flexed is permitted as soon as you are comfortable doing so.
4. When up and walking, flex your back and thighs (bent-over posture) so there will not be any tension on incision line.
5. Please do deep breathing 10 times a day for 1 week. Perform ankle and knees flexion and extension exercises for five minutes every hour when awake.
6. Take the pain medication every three to four hours, if needed. Ideally, it should be taken with food to prevent nausea. Take the antibiotic (Keflex) every eight hours for 7 days.
7. Showering and bathing are permitted when doctor instructs you to do so.
8. Empty drains as instructed every six hours and record output (in cc’s).
9. Keep bandages clean and dry. Keep abdominal binder on as much as possible.
10. You will be unable to drive for approximately 2-3 weeks.
11. Consider purchasing or renting a walker.